Monday, February 19, 2007

Icicle


A novelist I enjoy reading very much is Elizabeth Berg, and one of my favorites is Range of Motion. This is the story of a young mother who, along with her children, must cope with the aftermath of her husband becoming comatose after being hit in the head by an icicle. I keep a little notebook where I jot down interesting phrases and lines that I have read, and one of my favorites comes from this novel:

Alice and Ed have a little dog named Maggie. She looks like an animal dress up like dog, like a hedgehog or a weasel wearing a Tina Turner wig

Icicles are commonplace here along the eves of the house after a snowstorm or freezing rain, but I’ve never seen one quite like this. It formed on a twig of the tree by our porch. It was quite long -- about 17 inches before it finally fell, and it looked very lethal..

No comments: