Monday, April 09, 2007

April, Come She Will....

All of us are just a little bit stunned at what nearly a week of very cold temperatures (down into the teens) have done to the newly budded trees and flowers and tomatoes.... and just about everything. Oh yeah, the sugar snap peas we planted did survive. I doubt there will be any local peaches or apples or pears this summer. My heart goes out to Frank, the apple man, who comes to Farmer’s Market loaded with the most wonderful varieties of fruit -- apples, pears, peaches, nectarines; and the folks down the road who own the peach orchard as well. And there probably won’t be deer grazing on windfalls from the old apple tree. Ho hum. It takes a brave person to be a farmer. Here’s a small poem from Ogden Nash. It took me a week to find my small paperback book of Ogden Nash’s poems. Of course, it was not REALLY lost, just about 5 inches away from where I thought it should be, and I simply couldn’t “see” it.. This is happening more and more lately and it is driving me NUTS, but that’s another story. I suppose this poem is really about a woman, but it could just as easily be about this month:

ALWAYS MARRY AN APRIL GIRL

Praise the spells and bless the charms,
I found an April in my arms.
April golden, April cloudy
Gracious, cruel, tender, rowdy;
April soft in flowered languor
April cold with sudden anger,
Ever changing, ever true--
I love April, I love you

No comments: