Sunday, August 02, 2009

A journey of 1000 miles....

Certainly begins with one step, but for me if I want to take an airplane, it also involves a 90-mile ride to the nearest airport, which is in Springfield. Since the last time I flew on an airplane in October, the Springfield-Branson airport has completed a new terminal. I rather liked the old terminal. It had a fountain in the ticketing area. A real fountain, with real water. Now the theme seems to be fake realism.

Now I know that this little fellow can walk on water....


And this person too....

jesus walking on water Pictures, Images and Photos

But now everybody who comes to the Springfield-Branson Airport can walk on water....


True it isn’t real water, and the pebbles lining the creek bank aren’t real either...



and neither is the grass.

It is rather startling to walk in the terminal door and see a pebble-lined creek meandering through a grassy field. In addition to Springfield-Branson, this journey going west and coming home at the end of July involved the airports at Dallas-Ft Worth, Phoenix, Long Beach, John Wayne-Santa Ana, and Denver in various combinations. I did not see in these other airports anything quite like what they have done in Springfield, but one could imagine the possibilities. Sand and ocean in Long Beach, desert carpet in Phoenix; Rocky Mountain carpet in Denver.

I applaud the creativity of those who planned the new terminal, but I also wonder what were they thinking when they put down this carpet in the main thoroughfares leading through the airport. I can’t imagine how it is going to look after lots and lots of people walk on it. True, the Springfield-Branson airport is not that busy but it’s busy enough. I’m just glad I’m not on the cleaning crew.

And then I think a bit about myself, and how much of what people see is the real me and how much is pretend -- or otherwise camouflaged so that I fit in better with my surroundings. And who is the real me anyway? The woman who shows up at church? The one who lurches around the floor at aerobics class? The one who sits on the couch at night reading a book? Obviously, they are all me. Or parts of me. OK. I'll stop now. I think I am going to drive myself nuts.

No comments: