Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Mobile Nightmares

Just like there are a handful of basic plots around which most film and fiction is based, so there are certain basic categories of "bad dreams" that people in our Western culture seem to have in common. Well, I have not taken a poll and I have not spent hours researching this so conversations with other people lead to believe this is probably fairly representative. And when I mean a bad dream, I don't mean a truly terrifying nightmare, just a "bad dream", and it usually involves one of these things:


  1. Suddenly finding myself in public naked, or partly naked.
  2. Being lost and not being to find my way home, or I am trying to get back to my car and I can't find it.
  3. Being chased by something, and the harder I try to run, the slower I am able to move.
  4. Falling (as opposed to flying, which is wonderfully fun)
  5. Teeth falling out. 
The other night, however, I had a brand new bad dream involving modern technology. My dreams have finally caught up with the explosion in personal communication devices. In this dream, I was trying to use a cellular phone in an emergency and was not able to get the thing to work and the more frantically I tried to punch in the numbers to complete the call, the worse it got. This experience in my dream paralleled one I had in real life not too very long ago when I took off in the truck and really did need to use the cellular phone the LOML had given me in case I needed it and I could not figure out how to turn the thing on.

3 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

I know exactly what you mean about the cell phone thing. And to think of all the things those little pieces of technology can do - but I just want it in order to make a phone call - not to take a picture, not to send a text message (how do you do that anyhow?), not to search the internet, etc.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Hear hear! I have no clue how to do any of those things. I don't WANT to do any of those things. I am not that big of a fan of talking on the phone in the first place and to walk around with one of those things glued to my ear all day? Nope. Can't leave home without it? Well, yes I can, most of the time, anyway!

Far Side of Fifty said...

i find the teeth falling out dreams are kind scary..that and the trying to find the bathroom ones! :)