Friday, February 11, 2011

Sittin' tight...


Nothing warms the cockles of my heart quite as much as waking up to 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground with the knowledge that I do not have to immediately leap into my car and race to the post office so I can shovel the sidewalks in front of the building so someone doesn’t slip and fall and sue the post office.

I worked for that venerable institution for about 15 years. I started out as the contract cleaner. In addition to keeping the inside of the building clean,  in the summer I had to mow the lawns and also wash windows – and there are a lot of huge windows on the building – and in the winter, I had to make sure the sidewalks in front and on the side of the building were clear of ice and snow.

They loved me so much that they offered me a job as a temporary worker, and so for almost 1 year, around 1990, I was a substitute mail delivery person.


Indeed I did deliver the mail – through rain and sleet and snow – just like the motto says. And I got to drive a jeep with the steering on the right side, just like in England. 

I have not fond memories of one particular morning when I had to struggle through about 1 foot of snow with a thin crust of ice on top, and negotiate icy porches to put mail in people’s boxes.

I did actually make an attempt to become full-time employee when a position opened up, but I got beat out on the test by a woman who scored lower than I did but got 10-points added because she was a disabled veteran.

So, I went back to being the contract cleaner. And on 6 days a week I showed up there faithfully, year after year after year. And then I decided to do something different in my life – mainly we both felt were just getting too old to do the job. We? Yes, Richard is very happy too. Because I ended up getting him involved in several projects there because I could not manage them myself­— and the last time we had to strip and refinish the floors it about killed us. So, the time had come…

And so now on a snowing morning, I can sit and watch the flakes come down and feel very happy inside that I can stay inside and I don’t have to go anywhere, if I don’t want too.

1 comment:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Yes - there is nothing so pleasing as being able to choose what one does each morning.