Thursday, April 11, 2013

The unexpected guest


The teenager at church likes to go what he calls “herping” – hunting through the woods and bottom land for reptiles and amphibians. Had we been teenagers together, we would have been good friends, I think.

Not too long ago he was lamenting that it has simply been too cold to have much success at finding these creatures. Although there is a frost warning for tonight, it has most certainly warmed up in the last week.

It is unfortunate he was not at my house yesterday afternoon. We could have done a bit of herping together and would not have had to go far to do it.

At about 1:15, I had said goodbye to a friend who came to eat with me on her lunch break and took the Mollynater for a walk. We got back a little before 2:00, and when I walked through the kitchen and reached out to turn on the light in the living room , I did a double-take and changed my mind (the brown square is the light switch).



This is not the first time I have found one of these on the counter. Fortunately, he was just checking things out and did not try to entice me to eat any forbidden fruit.

Unfortunately, when a photo opportunity like this presents itself, one doesn’t have time to dust and remove clutter and set up the subject so the perfect shot can be taken. Had I taken the chance of turning on the light so the color would be better, I am not sure he would have continued to sit there.

And on the off chance that anyone might be worried about the outcome...


the story has a happy ending for all concerned.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I would have moved out..really I don't know how you do it. You are a strong strong woman:)