Saturday, October 14, 2017

Gone Forever

There are moments, little fleeting moments in life, like bubbles: you want to catch them and hang onto them forever, but you know they’ll only pop. I wonder couldn’t we bottle those brief, perfect memories, preserve them forever, like scent. Then, when disillusioned, or sad, or tired, we could uncap their precious contents and allow them perfume our disenchantment away?  Reluctant Memshaib
There were two messages on our digital answering machine that I wanted to keep forever. One was from my Dad, when his mind was in better shape, being silly and sweet, and the other was from my sister, mispronouncing my name on purpose. Both of these messages brought smiles whenever I heard them.

So there I was pressing the delete button to get rid of the telemarketer hang-ups and recordings. It’s not nearly as gratifying to hang up on a recording – the recording keeps right on going after you break the connection on your end. I often don’t answer the phone until I know who it is because I don’t feel like listening to the recorded spiel that starts with "Stop what you're doing right now..." and ends with “If you want to be removed from this list forever press 9”. Yeah. Right.

And I continued pressing “delete” button until all the messages on the machine were gone.

All of them.

Gone.

My dad’s silly message and my sister, clearing her throat and saying “Lalana…”

(The correct pronunciation phonetically would be "Lay-law-knee")

When I e-mailed my sister to tell her how upset I was, she told me about her daughter, who also lost two important messages she wanted to keep when she switched to another mobile phone.

One message was from the man who later became her husband, asking her out on their first date.


And other was Grandpa singing happy birthday to her. Sooo sad…

But, you hafta move on.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Darn telemarketers anyways:(

Henny Penny said...

Oh, I know how you feel. Poppy and I had kept a message from our sweet little granddaughter. She was probably four or five years old. She began by saying, "Hi grandma, hi grandpa, this is Madison". It was just the sweetest little voice, telling us how much she loved us. Poppy accidentally deleted it one day. And, like you, listening to it made us smile. She is in college now. But, like you said, you hafta move on.

Carla from The River said...

I do know what you are you feeling. I did the same with a text message just the other day. I felt so bad.