Having discovered that the nearly full bottle of cayenne pepper was ruined by mold or mildew or ?, and having gotten confirmation that it was not fit to eat from my dearly beloved, and being unwilling to hop in the car and drive to town pick up some more, I tossed it in the trash and decided to grind up red pepper flakes in my coffee bean grinder as a substitute.
Very bad mistake.
The fumes were immediate and powerful. I am relieved that I did not cough up part of my lung.
I will drive to town tomorrow and buy a new container of cayenne.