Wednesday, May 08, 2019

It goes w-o-o-s-h

We are doing an interesting series on Sunday School on “half-truths”— things people think the Bible says but that aren’t actually in the Bible.

The half-truth we reviewed last week was “God helps those who help themselves.”

“Now wait a minute, here” you might be thinking. And rightly so. There is a definite work ethic in the Bible. Just read through Proverbs and you get that message loud and clear. But most of the time people use the phrase to avoid helping people who can’t help themselves.

Well, I am not going to reteach the lesson here, but I felt like God did help me recently because I am willing to help people who cannot help themselves when I can, and I am also willing to put forth some effort to “help myself” if the opportunity occurs.

I did have an opportunity to work temporarily on a journal I used to work on to earn some extra money, for which I am very thankful. 

Since January, I have lost two of the journals I had been working on because one was moved to a company that I can’t work for at the moment and the other one went to a company that I refuse to work for (hint: I was getting $4.50 per unit and they were offering $2.25 per unit).

In place of those two, I was offered a new journal, so I have a little less work, which has been kind of nice actually, because I have had a little more free time.

But when I was offered this temporary work, I took it, and so no, I did not wander off into the sunset but was working 40 hours a week for about the last 3 weeks.

A lot of creative energy goes into the editing, and so I was not in the mood to do any creative writing for the blog. I will most certainly flounder again trying to keep the blog going (and I'll probably have humdinger of an excuse when that happens), but I am going to try to make an effort not to let so much time pass.

All of this has nothing to do with “w-o-o-s-h-i-n-g.”

I make bread fairly often. In the past, I mixed the sugar or honey with the warm water, added the yeast, gave it a whisk and then went off to do something else for about 15 minutes before coming back to see if the yeast had decided to wake up and reproduce itself.

One of the last times I made bread, I happened to be in the kitchen and happened to glance at the surface of the water just as the yeast woke up. Watching it multiply and spread through the water was just amazing.

I made bread today.

And I most definitely stayed right there and watched to see it happen. I tried to record it “wooshing” on my camera, but I am not set up to make a good recording in those circumstances -- it would have made you "seasick," so I’ll have to work on it.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like to watch the bubbles form too, your bread looks good:)