Monday, July 08, 2019

Gotcha!

I’ve gained enough weight that I can no longer fit comfortably in some of my favorite clothes, so it is time to Do Something About It.

And I am.

Food is being weighed, calories are being counted. Calorie counting is much more complicated than just going on some sort of a “diet”. And there are a lot of them out there. Some of them are familiar, some of them I have never heard of and sound rather weird:
  • Weight Watchers
  • Volumetrics
  • Flexitarian (what?).
  • Jenny Craig Diet
  • The Engine 2 Diet.
  • Orish
  • MIND
I remember my mom went on a diet once where she had to eat a lot of salads and she consumed so much lettuce it got impacted in her gut and she had to go to the hospital to be cleaned out.

No thanks.

I have been at this for 3 weeks now, and it is slow going. I lost 2.5 pounds the first week and nothing for last 2 weeks. No matter, I am not giving up just yet.

As I said, calorie counting can get complicated. I am very mathematically challenged, but occasionally have a flash of brilliance that impresses even my husband, who can do complicated (to me at least) mathematics in his head.

The problem the other day was: if 1/2 cup of cooked beans = 132 calories how many calories is 1/3 cup? Well, I thought, just multiply 132 by 2 and divide by 3.

Very good, he says. And I had a flashback to elementary school days and my poor, beleaguered parents trying to help me with fractions, which I could not understand. At all. They also had to come to school for conferences when I was in kindergarten because I couldn’t seem to learn to tie my shoelaces and then later in 2nd grade when I couldn’t figure out how to tell time. But I digress.

I am using the scale a lot because everything has to be weighed. I propped it up on the counter behind my 1-cup tea pot so it’s handy but off the counter.


I was working away in my office, and Richard was messing about in the kitchen, and I hear:

“You can’t leave the scale standing up like that. The juice in the battery will drain out.”

I am alarmed. What?!

I hurry in there, and he is shaking with laughter. He has done it to me again.

I am so gullible sometimes, it is so embarrassing.

Every once in a while the temptation to tease me is just too much, and he succumbs.



2 comments:

Donna. W said...

I’ve put on a few pounds lately. I’m watching what I eat now, too.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I understand the struggle...too much lettuce for your Mom wow. Good luck with your counting!