Thursday, August 08, 2019

Adventures in Country Living


He comes in carrying a plastic storage container. “I need to consult with the resident poopologist,” he says. An animal squeezed through the hole at the bottom of the basement door and left a deposit in the container in the fruit cellar. We peer intently at the poop, and I posit that it is probably possum poop, although the culprit could have been a raccoon or a skunk. Then I remembered that I did detect the faint odor of skunk in our basement about a month ago.

You might be glad that I do not have a picture to share, but you can find just about anything on the Internet, and there is a surprising collection of photographs of various animal poops in case you ever need to try to figure what critter was responsible.

I do, however, have a picture of the small snake that Richard spotted in our living room later in the afternoon. I imagine it came in through the gap at the bottom of the screen door.


It bit me when I picked it up, but whatever teeth (fangs?) it had barely scratched the skin.

It lived to see another day.

4 comments:

Sandi said...

SCREAMING!

Far Side of Fifty said...

No snakes in the house! SSScreaming too:(

Dena said...

That is not a small snake. I would be scared to go to sleep at night..

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

I should have given a scale of reference to. It was a baby (the pattern on the back fades when they are adults) It looks much bigger than it was -- it was about as big around as the fat part of my index finger..