Saturday, December 14, 2019

Unexpected visitors

You can catch a lizard with your hands, yet it is in kings' palaces.
Proverbs 30:28
We are rather used to various non-human visitors showing up at the house – visitors with eight legs, four legs, and sometimes with no legs at all, that move by undulating on the ground.

Several weeks ago, on a very unseasonably warm day, fortunately, for reasons that will be made clear in a moment, Richard walked into his office and almost stepped on a lizard on the tile floor that was basking in a patch of sunlight coming in from the window.

We wondered how long it had been in the house? How did it get in? Well, that question is fairly easily answered—even with the door shut, there is a gap in one spot where a lizard could probably come in if it was so inclined.

He was able to catch the lizard in a plastic container and took it outside, and it was warm enough so the lizard would be able to find its way to a safe spot where lizards go to spend the winter. He let it go before I could get a picture of it, so I borrowed one from Wikipedia.


Then, a few mornings ago, I was not paying attention when I put my coffee in the microwave. I entered the time and went to push the start button, and then I was paying quite a bit of attention, because I was...
touching something besides the control panel. 

I commented later to Richard, “Wouldn’t it be funny if there was a slug in the microwave when I turned it on?”

This morning, when I finished heating my coffee in the microwave, I discovered that there was indeed a slug in the microwave and it was cooked. Although I understand snails are quite tasty, I was not tempted to eat the slug. 

And I did not find it very funny.

I may now have the cleanest microwave in town and have made a note to self “Close the microwave door before you go to bed!”

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You are braver than I am. I don't like anything with legs or no legs in the house...animals and bugs and reptiles that is.

Donna. W said...

Ewww, I can't even stand to step on a slug, although it happens often, since I seldom wear shoes.

Henny Penny said...

We have found a lizard or two in the house before. They come in when we leave the back door open that goes out to the screened-in porch. I can not imagine microwaving a slug!! We do have lots of them outside. Oh, several years ago our small Poodle barked and barked standing just outside the bathroom door. When I looked inside there was a black snake curled up behind the door. Probably three or four feet long and skinny but a SNAKE! My neighbor came and caught it and carried it outside.