Sunday, May 09, 2021

Mother's Day

I saw my mom last in the summer of 2009. She had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and chose not to receive treatment. She had a deep abiding faith in God and knew where she was headed. She died in October 2009. I called her two days before she died, and according to my sister-in-law who was there, I was the last person she talked to before she slipped into a coma.


She was a wonderful mother and I miss her.

But in addition to honoring my Mom’s memory, I am thinking about two other mothers who had a profound effect on my life because of the way they raised their children, one of whom grew up to become my mom and the other my father. Unfortunately, I did not have a long relationship with either of them.

 My mom’s mother, Elsie, died when she was 70, and I was 7-1/2 years old. 

My memories of her are fuzzy. I particularly love the picture of Grandma Elsie dressed up in man’s clothes on their ranch in Colorado. 

 I have always wondered what the occasion was.What was she up to?

 My dad’s mother, Theresa, died when she was 65 years old and I was 9. 

My memories of her are a bit sharper. 


I am stunned at how beautiful she was.

I am so incredibly thankful for these wonderful women and their legacy.

How to celebrate Mother's Day? Several days late, but that's okay. We have not gone out to eat in a restaurant in more than year, but will take a chance on Tuesday -- several days late, but that's okay. I was given a gift certificate at a local steak house for filling in on the piano at church for 3 months when the organist broke her leg and couldn’t come to church, much less play the organ. So, we’ll take advantage of that.

Things will be rather simple around our house today. I’ll make turkey tetrazzini from the standard recipe in my cookbook.  

I found a jar of molasses in the cupboard, and I believe gingerbread cake with whipped cream (or perhaps lemon sauce – I haven’t decided) (also from that cookbook) will be on the menu today.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Mother's Day! What lovely photos of your Grandmothers! Hope you enjoy your lunch! We ordered out and picked up and ate in! Our youngest daughter and her husband were here! First time our fully vaccinated son in law has been in our house since covid.
I have that same cookbook...worn and tattered! :)

Donna. W said...

I have that same cookbook, although I bought it used on Ebay. My go-to cookbook was "Better Homes and Gardens".

Carla from The River said...

I enjoyed your tribute. And what fantastic photos.
Happy Mother's Day,
Carla