Saturday, May 13, 2023

Gotta Watch Out for Those Mammies

 Richard rolls into the kitchen wearing his serious face and says:

 “It bothers me that they are thawing out these mammy wooliths that have been frozen for thousands of years…”

I try very hard to keep a straight face so that he can finish his thought without being distracted by my laughing at him.

“What if in the process they also thaw out some bacteria or virus that has also been frozen inside the mammoth and it gets loose….”

And then he stops. 

“I said that wrong, didn’t I?”

And then we both laugh.

There are conflicting opinions about whether ancient bacteria and viruses brought back to life from a frozen mammoth could actually be a problem for us, after all, mammoths and humans were alive at the same time, but I hope we never find out.


2 comments:

Henny Penny said...

That is so funny, I am terrible about saying words backwards and remember mama and daddy laughing at things I said wrong. Took me a minute to figure out wooly mammoths. Are they actually thawing them out??

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

I know scientists are thinking about using DNA from mammoths to try and resurrect the animal or create a mammoth/elephant hybrid, but I am not sure they are actually thawing them out. The permafrost in some areas is thawing, which could release bacteria and viruses, and animals frozen in it could thaw.