Monday, January 23, 2006

A failure to communicate

This peaceful weekend ended on a rather bizarre note. It was peaceful because N, basically is not here. He left the house at 8 a.m. Saturday and did not return until about 9 p.m. Saturday night. He left the house at around 9:00 a.m. Sunday and did not return until 9 p.m. Sunday night. He basically did the same thing the previous weekend. Last Monday, after his marathon weekend with them, he told me that he was going to be “indisposed” to them “next weekend.” Yeah, right. I think we saw less of him this weekend than we did last weekend. So much for being indisposed. But what was bizarre was that when he came home last night, we were sitting on the bed watching TV. The bedroom door open. We heard him come in, and he thumped around the house for about 15 to 20 minutes, and then went to bed without saying a word to us. As this was going on, I whispered to R, with what I assume was incredulity in my voice, “He is not going to speak to us, is he??” R leans over and pats my arm. “Did you expect something different?” So, when I confronted N this morning (in a very nice way, I thought) about why didn’t he come in and say something to us when he got home, his response was “Well, I just wanted to see if you would come and say something to me.” Interesting tactic. Behave in a very antisocial way and then throw the blame onto the other person. Like we were supposed to leap up and go chasing after him to say “Hello?” R says, "I guess we are eternally hopeful that he will change, and we are too stupid to accept that he won’t." I don't know that we're "stupid" exactly, just..... parents.

No comments: