Saturday, March 13, 2010

Now where did I put that...

Richard makes a coffee creamer using a chocolate-raspberry hot cocoa mix, powdered milk, and sweetener which we keep in an old ice cream tub in a cupboard. Early yesterday evening, about an hour before the kid and I were supposed to leave to hear the bagpipe band, I made a cup of coffee and added some. And then I went back to work on the manuscript I was trying to finish before we left.

This morning when I got up and made my coffee, I looked for the creamer and it was nowhere to be found. We all knew I was the last one to use it.

Ok, he says, where did you put it. It is sort of big and hard to miss.

Like I said, this stuff is in a half-gallon ice cream tub.

I had no idea where it was, at first at least. We looked in a few of the obvious places.

Well, I said, maybe I put it in the refrigerator.

Sure enough. there it was. It wasn't too bad of a mistake, actually. There are probably 4 half-gallon ice cream tubs in there filled with marinated carrots, soup, chopped lettuce, that sort of thing, so it was easy enough for me to get distracted and stick it in there when I was done.

However, it still reminded me so much of that sad scene in the movie Away From Her, where the character played by Julie Christie (who was nominated for an Oscar, and rightly so!) is putting away dishes with her husband and she sticks the skillet in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator.

I know everybody my age does this sort of thing a lot--you know, frantically looking for glasses when they are on the top of your head. But still, when I make mistakes like this it scares me a bit.

1 comment:

Oklahoma Granny said...

I put my keys in the refrigertor one time. Took me forever to find them but those things happen sometimes.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!