Monday, September 27, 2010

The factory egg vs the farm egg

We eat eggs for breakfast once a week, on Sunday, which comes to about 4 eggs a week -- which means we not exactly big consumers of eggs and a dozen will last a while. It has been many years since I kept hens for eggs, and so I prefer to buy the eggs we do eat from a woman who sells them at the farmer's market. Unfortunately, we don’t always get there in time to get a dozen before they are all sold. Yesterday I used the last of the farm eggs and had to crack a store bought egg into the cast iron skillet.


Not too hard to tell which egg is the factory egg and which is the farm egg; and I promise, this was not tweaked in Photoshop to dramatize the difference.

I was going to call this post the “city egg vs the country egg,” but my dad, who lives about 10 minutes away down the freeway from downtown Los Angeles, gets homegrown eggs from the next door neighbor who has chickens running around in his yard. 


I imagine that if one were to do a chemical analysis of the two eggs, there would probably not be that much difference between them, but I certainly do like the idea of eating an egg that has come from a chicken that can walk around on her two feet and flap her wings and take a dust bath, and eat a bug….

Like my cousin’s chickens…



I have visited an egg factory, and those hens do not have a very good life.

3 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

I agree that fresh eggs are much better. My husband wants to get some chickens for just that reason but I just gotta say, chickens are just plain nasty - at least my grandmother's were. Not only that, I'm afraid coyotes might come closer to the house looking for a free dinner.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Uhh... racoons, coyotes, skunks, possum, fox... we've got them all and they all like a nice chicken dinner. My last flock of hens was wiped out by "something"

Far Side of Fifty said...

I love the brown eggs which are available at out local grocery store..they have more flavor! My parents used to have chickens..I have been tempted..but you have to do chores everyday when you have critters:(