Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Courtin’ clothes, and the one that got away

Once upon a time I played the dulcimer, and one of the first songs I learned was “Froggie went a-Courtin.” For some reason, I was reminded of that song when I noticed the American goldfinch who has been here all winter, has suddenly--overnight it seems--put on his bright courtin', all set and ready to impress the rather dowdy-looking female.

I have been pleased in the past week or so to see the arrivals of the birds that spend winters south of here and then return for the summer – among them the indigo bunting – and on a number of occasions I have been treated to the primary colors at the bird feeder – the yellow goldfinch, the bright red cardinal, and the shimmering blue indigo bunting.

I had a perfect shot with the camera lined up – all three of these birds were at the front-hard bird feeder at the same time—and then this is what I ended up with.


You’ll just have to imagine it.

6 comments:

Tami Weingartner said...

As I'm reading this there is a goldfinch & a female cardinal at my feeder. Our Goldfinch is getting brighter and more flashy by the day too.

Lo said...

I have never seen an indigo bunting, but that picture you pointed to sent me reeling...how gorgeous.

Oklahoma Granny said...

My husband filled the bird feeders up a couple of weeks ago and within just a couple of hours, the finch feeder had almost disappeared behind what seemed like a whole flock of beautiful yellow finches. We've had a lot of robins and red-winged black birds too. And some VERY stubborn barn swallows intent on building a nest on our back porch again this year.

Far Side of Fifty said...

We get the Indigo Buntings once in a great while..they are so very pretty. Birds are really hard to photograph..at least you got two of them in the photo. We have the Goldfinches..but it is too cold for them to change into their yellow yet..and I saw a female Cardinal last week..!!! :)

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I have never seen and Indigo Bunting either. What a beautiful bird. I only feed the hummingbirds in the summer. Maybe I need to keep that feeder up all year.

Mary said...

Charisse has been learning the dulcimer. She treated us to a mini concert at Easter.