Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Refrigerator Adventures and Extending the Dream...

A few days ago I used about ½ can of coconut milk to make curry and put the rest in a small round container in the refrigerator so I could make soup today with Thai tom yum (hot and sour) paste.

This morning I suppose I was thinking too much about Christmases past when I made my usual morning smoothie with yogurt, banana, and pineapple juice. It had a wonderful taste that I wasn’t expecting but didn’t think anything about it.

After I finished, I began chopping vegetables for the soup and then went looking for the coconut milk. Couldn’t find it. Got Richard involved tearing apart the refrigerator looking for it (he often moves things around). He couldn’t find it either.

Then I suddenly remembered I had gotten my containers mixed up and had used the coconut milk in the smoothie instead of the yogurt. No wonder it tasted so different.

So I opened a new can of coconut milk, used about ½ can of it, and put the rest in a small round container in the refrigerator.

Now I must make sure not to grab the coconut milk instead of the sour cream when I start preparing for the meal this afternoon.

And rewinding back to Saturday night:

Some young girls dream of being a ballet dancer but never the chance to even try. But for girls in this area who dream of tutus and dancing en pointe, the Children’s Ballet of the Ozarks gives them that chance. We were invited to see the girls next door dance in the CBO performance of The Nutcracker Saturday night.

We went and were very impressed with the entire performance. But what impressed us the most was that CBO has extended that dream to girls who do not have the typical “ballerina body.” Several of the teenagers in the corps de ballet were noticeably overweight. These teenagers will almost certainly never become professional dancers in elite ballet companies, but I liked that these young women are also being given the chance, at least for now, to have a taste of that dream.

And Merry Christmas to you all.

2 comments:

Elli H. Radinger said...

Dear Leilani.

I love reading your posts and continue to look for them in 2019.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you from Germany.

Elli

Far Side of Fifty said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, sometimes those kitchen mistakes turn out quite well.