Friday, March 22, 2019

A Happy Day


Today is her birthday. 

I was old enough when she was born to remember her from the very beginning of her life. She was such a sweet little girl, sensitive and tenderhearted. The only time I can remember being angry with her was when she got into my “Evening in Paris” cologne when I was a young teenager. 

I especially love this picture of her, which I took in 2012 when I went to California for her daughter's wedding. 


She took me on an outing to the Bowers Art Museum in Santa Ana (Orange County). We lived in the City of Orange before we moved to Oregon.
 
There was an orange grove behind our first apartment there, and in the spring smell of the blossoming orange trees was exquisite. The city very wisely planted a specimen orange grove so folk would remember how the town got its name. They were already ripping out the orange groves when we left there in 1980.

It was a wonderful day. The museum was just the right size so we were able to walk through all of the galleries without being exhausted at the end.



She is so pretty, but even if she wasn’t, she would still be beautiful because it comes from within, from the deep, abiding relationship she has with God. “Her children arise and call her blessed; 


her husband also, 

 
and he praises her.” 

Me too. I am so thankful she is my sister. Happy birthday Sissy!

4 comments:

Donna. W said...

My lovely sister is 92. She was 16 when I was born, and is the only remaining person on this earth still living who remembers me as a baby. Mother used to tell me how she, my dad, and my sister took turns walking the floor with me every evening when I had colic. She recently had a heart attack, making me realize her time on earth can’t be much longer. Your description of your sister would fit her.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful sister! :)

Anonymous said...

Awwwhhh....thank you, Sissy! Love you so much.

Henny Penny said...

Oh, this is so sweet. She is a beautiful sister. I remember "Evening in Paris". :)