Saturday, February 23, 2019

Taste test

For reasons I don’t fully understand, when someone mentioned last week at church that they would like chili for the light lunch we are having tomorrow after church, I opened my mouth and said I would bring some.

Why? I dunno.

I am very insecure about my ability to fix food that other people will like when they eat it. I fretted about it all week, looked at myriad chili recipes, and finally went back to my old Betty Crocker cookbook.


I made the recipe this morning and put it in the crock pot to simmer so flavors would blend and took a taste.

It was a little flat, so I added some more chili powder. Let it simmer for a while, and then gave Richard a sample. He thought it needed more chili powder. So I added some. Waited an hour or so, took another taste, and added some more chili powder. After another hour I gave Richard another sample, and he thought maybe it needed a little more salt. So I added a teaspoon of salt. We both took a final taste and decided it was good and that I should not mess with it any more.

Then I found onion skin in the last sample I tasted. I thought I had been so careful to remove all of the onion skins.

Richard says, “Don’t worry. If anyone gets an onion skin, they’ll take it out of their mouth and put it on the side of their plate. Not me. If I get one, I’m gonna say really loud “Eeuww. There’s an onion skin in Leilani’s chili.”

God bless him. He always seems to know when humor is helpful.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your cookbook looks better than mine:) A little brown sugar sometimes helps chili flavor:)

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Thanks for that suggestion!

Tatersmama said...

Oh mylanta! Your chili sounds sooo good! With all the wet weather we've been having lately, chili and cornbread sounds like a great meal... even with a little onion skin in it! Our local church has a chili supper once a year, and 10-20 people bring their batches in, and they combine them! Of course the Pastor says that if you like the taste, you're probably tasting "his" addition. I wish I could find my old Betty Crocker cookbook now. *sigh*