Sunday, May 24, 2020

Following the directions


On our last trip to Springfield in the Fall (before anyone had heard of COVID-19), we stopped at the Asian market. Richard spent too much time in the noodle section and came home with 6 or 7 different kinds of noodle. Including Beijing Noodles. 

They are a long, flat noodle, sort of like linguini. 
“It is non-fried and no preservatives. The quality is healthy and satisfying. You can set your mind at ease because we can guarantee your expenditure.”

He wanted me to cook them for dinner. So I read the instructions… not the ones in Chinese, obviously, but the ones that had been translated into English.

1. Add Noodles (100 g) per person to boiling water and stir occasionally to separate noodles. Wait 3 minutes. 

Okay. We have a kitchen scale. Weigh out 100 grams and into the boiling water they go. Set the kitchen timer. So far so good. 

2. Turn to small flame. Add a half cup of water. Turn off the flame while boiling again.

What? Huh? I guess they meant bring it to a boil again on low heat and then turn the heat off. I didn’t know.

I decided the noodles would be mush if I did that, so I improvised. I added the half cup of water, turned the burner off and let them sit in the hottish water for another 3 minutes. They turned out fine

Just another case of the meaning getting lost in translation.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sometimes you just have to make your own directions!

Cathy said...

Sounds a bit like all the 'instructions' we are getting about restrictions being eased!

I 'love' Asian grocery places - they are full of weird and wonderful bits and pieces. A big like old time general stores. We have one where I buy our loose leaf Chinese green tea - it should be a cases of in, pick up the tin, and out. Never is because like your man there are other things to consider- like noodles!