Saturday, May 30, 2020

Not pretty but servicable

When I was in high school, girls took home economics. We learned basic cooking skills, how to read a recipe and measure ingredients. One of the things we made, Goldenrod Eggs, is something I still like and will be having it tomorrow for breakfast.

We learned how to knit. I wasn’t very good at that. The teacher had a few remarks to make when she saw my first efforts. The slippers I made would have been suitable for Big Foot.

We learned how to use a sewing machine, how to cut out a pattern, and sew it. We made a gym bag to carry our gym clothes.

My mom was good seamstress (she made my prom dress)

and I learned from her too. She had hopes for me. They gave me a very old Singer sewing machine in a cabinet when I graduated from college.

I made some of my own clothes back in the day, and I made a caftan for Richard after we moved here.

I was never really very good at it, however.  And 50+ years later, I am still not that good.

We had BLTs the other day. The toaster is one kitchen gadget that we almost ever use. We probably had not used it in at least a year, and it was very dusty. I had to open the bottom and use canned air to blow it all out.

Richard thought we needed a cover for the toaster because it was so very dusty. He had a bolt of black cloth that was very cheap which he uses to cover equipment in his office and shelves in the garage where the little red bins of nails, nuts, washers, etc live to keep the wrens from throwing the nails all over the floor when they decide to build a nest in there.

So I used that to make the toaster cover. I saw some really cute toaster covers on the internet, but I didn’t have a proper pattern. I just measured the dimensions of the toaster and then cut the pieces out of the material and sewed them together. Unfortunately, I couldn’t tell the right side from the wrong side, and after I finished, I realized one of the seams was on the outside. 

Oh well. I decided not to dismantle it. It will keep the dust out even if it isn’t quite right and is probably the ugliest toaster cover ever.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

It will work:) I am not a seamstress either:)

Henny Penny said...

I love your stories. You sure are pretty in the prom dress. I struggled learning to sew and I still can't make clothes. I do okay with aprons and bonnets. The toaster cover is fine. I could not have made one at all without a pattern. You did good.