Thursday, September 10, 2020

Not in the Palmer style

 “The pages…. Look like the scrawlings of an hysterical octopus."

Ilka Chase Free Admission

This is about Richard’s sense of humor, but it may take a minute to get there.
 

Some of us were taught cursive with the Palmer method in the early years of elementary school.

I think, though, that how we write is sort of hard-wired to be either legible or not so legible. I dunno for sure, of course. I am sure there have been studies on this, but I haven’t investigated. 


My Dad was a lefty, and his printing could be a little difficult at times. I was mostly able to figure it out. 

 

The sample is from a letter he wrote. I love his description of the “mail lady.”
 

 My mom had beautiful handwriting. 

 

This sample is from a family history she wrote for our son.

I did not take after her. My worst grades in elementary school were in handwriting and mathematics. I can write quite legibly, if I take my time, but usually my hand can’t keep up with my brain and so my writing starts off clear but usually deteriorates. And if I am in a hurry? 

Richard had a call in to Todd, our computer repair person, and he told me what he wanted me to say when Todd called back. 


 Translation:

Modem out
we have another
How soon can he come
(dead in water)

Last week I cooked two big family-size packages of country-style pork ribs and then divided the meat in portions of about 6 to 8 oz each in freezer bags. We have learned the hard way that everything that goes into the freezer must be labeled, otherwise we end up with packages of mystery meat. 

I wrote him a note (everything has to be in a note because of his ADD): Make 5 rib labels. The note was probably not very legible, but he didn't keep it. This is what he gave me before he did the 5 labels.

 

I can't imagine what it would be like being married to someone who didn't make me laugh.

4 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

:) In these Covid times it is good to have a sense of humor. I have always wondered why there are 2 E's in the palmer method. AS I recall it was all lined up on top of the chalk board on some kind of green tiles with those lines! :)

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Thanks for your comment over at my place.
My feeling about the new interface is that they are subtracting rather than adding.

The Palmer Method is what I learned.
I can read it just fine, but it depends upon muscle memory.
I never had the patience to memorize anything.
I can't remember what day Alexa told me it is.

Galla Creek said...

I am going to follow your blog. No need to look at mine it’s nothing to consider.
We are the same age. I live in AR.

Donna. W said...

And was the slug actually IN the coffee? Inquiring minds want to know.