Tuesday, October 27, 2020

To Buy or Not to Buy?

When I went to the market on Friday to check on the price of lettuce (at $2.99 a head? I don’t think so) and buy a few other items, I noticed this huge, rather spectacular fruit nestled there next to the grapes, pears, and kiwis.

 It had a rather spectacular price too, $29.99. $30 for a fruit!!??

My birthday was Saturday. One of the women at church always says "well, it's the xxx anniversary of my 39th birthday..." so I spent some time trying to figure out how many anniversaries of my 39th birthday this was. I finally e-mailed my pastor, who has taught mathematics at the college level, and she was kind enough to explain how to figure it. I believe this makes the 32nd anniversary of my 39th birthday. Either way, I may be an old woman chronologically but I feel very young inside.

I got telephone calls from both of my younger brothers and my sister. The older of the two brothers moved to northern Idaho about a month ago, and he was very excited. "It’s snowing!!!” He has never lived where there is “real winter.” They are in for some interesting experiences. I doubt he will be as excited about the snow come January.

I opened birthday cards and found a generous gift card from my younger brother and his wife. Now I am debating how to spend it.

I could have an adventure and spend it on that fruit. It was still there when I went to the market today. My cousin’s oldest daughter, who lives in Hawaii, sent me Internet links on how to open the fruit and ideas for preparing it.

Or I could put it toward some “Sunday go-to-meetin’ shoes,” which I need. Birkenstocks work okay for some things, but not always too well when trying to “dress up” a bit. There is a large shoe store 25 miles down the road that I am sure will have something that I like. I just have to decide whether I want to risk going in the store.

Or I could get a pedicure. Two of the women in the aerobics class have had pedicures and were raving about how wonderful it is to get your feet and lower legs massaged and pampered. I was encouraged to do that. It sounds good, but I am not sure I can bring myself to let someone look at my awful toenails. Yes, I have the horrible toenail fungus on a couple of my toes. “Oh, they don’t care. They see all kinds of feet…”

Decisions, decisions.

Fruit? 

Shoes? 

Pedicure?

I think the shoes have it.

3 comments:

Galla Creek said...

We are the same age and like you I don’t feel old as the number sounds when I say it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Birthday go for the shoes! I have never had Jack fruit...not sure I would like it and I can massage my own feet! Hope you had a great birthday!

Donna. W said...

I wonder what the fruit is called.