Saturday, January 28, 2006

Beep Beep

I had always just assumed that the Roadrunner (http://www.ibiblio.org/ephesus/roadrunn.jpg) was a bird of the desert, so I was very surprised to see one cruising down a residential street in the Corpus Christi neighborhood where my father-in-law lived when we were there on vacation in 1983. And I was even more surprised when R came home from a trip to Town the day before and told me he saw a Roadrunner in the Wal-Mart parking lot (about 30 miles from our house). And one of my co-workers has also seen the bird there. I guess it picks insects out of the grills of the cars. I can’t think how else it survives here during the winter. The irony of course is that I am the fanatic bird watcher. R likes birds OK and finds them interesting, but not to the extent that I do. Conservation says the Roadrunner population is increasing in the next county, and our place is not that far from the county line, so maybe someday I’ll see one in my yard. I’ve seen Coyote at our place, why not Roadrunner (Beep Beep).

No comments: