Thursday, February 04, 2021

Silence is Golden

Thursday is our meatless meal day. I fix things that have a complete protein but don’t use meat. Frequently what I end up making is vegan, but we are not vegans. We like meat. A lot. 

I usually end up making enough for 6 people, so I eat the leftovers for lunch for the next several days. 

Tonight we had dal (Indian recipe for rice and lentils), which I got from a great vegetarian cookbook that I have used so much that it is starting to fall apart...

last week we had black bean and quinoa salad, which I got off from the Allrecipes website.. and the week before we had vegetarian chili and cornbread. 

I used two different recipes when I made the chili and got the spices fouled up. I’m not sure what I did exactly, but it was probably the worst-tasting chili I have ever made. 

After we finished, I asked Himself what he thought of the chili. “Oh,” he says, “it was great.” All I said was “Good, I am glad you liked it.” 

As my sweet sissy says “I have found if I don't point out flaws, he won't notice either.” 

I was able rehabilitate the chili by adding some more canned tomatoes and some more chili powder and that did the trick.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting meals. My old Betty Crocker is falling apart...it is 51 years old....so I guess:)

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Yes! My first Betty Crocker that I got as a wedding present 50 yeas ago fell apart and was replaced 25 years ago (?) at least, and the second one is now falling apart as well. I still use it constantly.

Donna. W said...

I practically learned to cook out of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I bought it when I got my first apartment, choosing that particular cookbook because it was what my sister used, and she has always been a great cook. My mother was a great cook, but she never taught me to cook as a kid. So I NEEDED a cookbook!