Monday, March 22, 2021

Dressing Up Pancakes

Why some of our childhood memories blaze like they are lit up in neon and others fade to gray like a sign that has been left out in the elements and untouched for 60 years remains a mystery.

And frequently what is remembered is not something that is very important.

This morning as I was spreading peanut butter and lilikoi jelly on my pancakes...

I remembered sitting down to eat pancakes with my cousins Teri, Mark, and Nadine at Uncle Bud and Aunt Vera’s house. I don’t remember if I was by myself (they invited me to go to the Seattle World’s Fair with them) or if this was a family vacation and everyone was there.  

Lilikoi jelly? Lilikoi is the Hawaiian word for the variety of passion fruit that grows there. Cousin Teri lives in Hawaii and she turns it into jelly. She made some last year and sent me a care package in January.

Passion flower vines do grow here grow here in the wild...

and I suppose I could make jelly, but the fruit is very small and I have never felt like it was worth messing with.

Where was I? I was so surprised when cousin Mark spread soft butter on his pancakes and then sprinkled sugar on top. Butter and sugar on pancakes? That was not how we ate pancakes at home!! I did try it and it was delicious, of course.

So are peanut butter and lilikoi jelly.

2 comments:

Carla from The River said...

I learned something new ;-) thank you for sharing the jelly, the flowers and the butter and sugar idea on top of pancakes.
Happy Spring! Carla

Far Side of Fifty said...

How wonderful that someone sends you that marvelous Lilikoi jelly!! I love that jelly and order online...I am down to my last jar and am saving it! I would make it if I could! Enjoy!!