Saturday, June 26, 2021

Fifty Years and Counting...

Rumor has it that something always goes wrong at a wedding. It’s probably not true, but something did go wrong at our wedding, which was 50 years ago today.

The church where we got married had very strict rules about the songs that could be sung during the ceremony. No secular music allowed, and I had to choose from a list. My dad was very disappointed, because he wanted the song "Sweet Leilani" sung. I had some ideas about songs too, and none of them were on the list. I chose a song that was okay, and I don’t remember now what it was.

At the rehearsal, the minister was kidding around with the soloist and said, “See you at 8:00.” Well, the wedding was at 7:00.

When it came time for the soloist, he wasn’t there. The minister waited a beat and then carried right on, and so we began married life together. 

The past 50 years have seen some “ups and downs,” but I am very glad I said “yes” when he asked.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You were a beautiful bride!! Congratulations on 50 years!!

Donna. W said...

You were still just kids. :D