Tuesday, April 25, 2023

...The Rats Will Play

One of the most memorable movie soundtracks is the music at the beginning of Jaws, where we are introduced to the shark. The only famous person that I know I have less than six degrees of separation from is the musician who played the tuba on that soundtrack, which was the theme for the shark. He was Tommy Johnson, my sister-in-law’s uncle. 

And one of the most iconic lines from the movie comes later when they are after the shark, where Roy Scheider's character says “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.”

That classic line popped into mind this morning when I got up and saw the mouse trap. Last week, while I was sitting the recliner at 4:45 a.m. with my coffee, reading my morning devotional, I caught movement in my peripheral vision and watched a mouse scurry across the living room, in front of the couch, and into the kitchen.

And the old maxim, where there is one mouse, there is usually another, proved true. I caught the mouse the next morning and a couple of days later I caught another mouse.

We have found this style of mouse trap is very effective at trapping mice – better than the spring type, which they tend to ignore. Peanut butter is put in the insert that fits in the back, the mouse goes in the front to get to the peanut butter, steps on the plate, and the door slams.

I did not catch a mouse this morning because the trap was dismantled overnight. This is the work of a pack rat, which was clever enough to pull out the insert to get at the peanut butter.

The idea of a pack rat running around the house is alarming.

We are definitely gonna need a bigger trap.


3 comments:

Peg said...

Leilani, I found your blog by following the link on the Henny Penny Lane blog. I was attracted immediately by the name Ozark Oddments. My family on both sides has deep roots in the Ozarks very near Willow Springs. My first record of ancestors in Ozark County starts not long after 1835. My folks were from Dora, but as the farmers retired, they usually moved to West Plains. I still have relatives there and attended a funeral in West Plains last November. I've read several of your blog entries and really enjoyed them. I look forward to following along. I do not have a blog, but love to learn new things and read so I started reading several blogs written by a variety of people with varied lifestyles. I love Henny Penny's blog and thought that if she followed you, I would enjoy you as well. She reminds me so much of my mom and aunts. My parents moved to St. Louis in 1944 so I'm a city girl, but was raised in the Ozarks way.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Thanks for your comment and introducing yourself. I too love Henny Penny's blog. She is just lovely. I am not retired, and my work sometimes causes me to have difficulty keeping up with writing the blog, so there can be long gaps between posts. Don't give up on me.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh my word! A pack rat? I have never heard of such a thing! We did have mice about twenty years ago in the house we lived in before our current abode. We bought the sticky strips to put around the edges of the room and they worked well. This was before I discovered that deep in my dog-loving heart I had room to love cats. Well, one cat -- Sweetness, my tuxie, whom I rescued four years ago after a tiny tiny tiny abandoned kitten died on my watch (I tried but failed to keep it alive). Anyway, we have no mice now (that I KNOW of), but my daughter told me the other day about shipboard cats that actually have IDs as they are considered working cats. You may need one of those. A really big one. xoxo