Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me


Yesterday began fairly early with a phone call from my beloved dad singing “Happy Birthday,” which is a tradition. And Himself had managed to set up a display of Hershey’s kisses in the form of a heart around his birthday card on the table, without me seeing him do it (concentrating too hard on a surgical pathology paper – I’ve been thrown off the deep end of the pool on this one). And there were several sets of dangly earrings to go with it. And then a delightful dinner last night with friends, during which we definitely fell off of the diet wagon and consumed close to 1,000 calories more than we were supposed to. When we arrived back home, the answering machine light was flashing and upon pressing the button, out wafts the voice of my younger brother singing “Happy Birthday” and then right on the heels of that came my sister, also singing “Happy Birthday,” and finally, my long-time friend Mary from Oregon also wishing me best returns on the day (she didn’t sing though). It doesn’t get much better than this. Unless perhaps, the little girl is 3 years old, and gets to go to Aunty’s house, and receives the best present of all: a fishing pole so she can go fishing with her dad (and somewhere in this blog there is a picture of me fishing with a parental unit).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooohh, I forgot. A very happy and very belated birthday to you, my friend, from Germany. I'm busy as a bee but hopefully will find the time to write.

Elli