Saturday, January 10, 2009

Drip..... drip..... drip...

About 15 years ago we spent quite a bit of money -- about $150 -- to buy a Price Pfister Pfaucet for the kitchen sink. It started dripping and he fixed it, and that lasted quite a while, but then it started dripping again.


The water isn't totally going to waste. The gray water from the house flows down a large pipe and into the channel where the wet weather spring flows. During our "back to the land," phase we rigged up a barrel to collect the water from the sinks, the bathtub and the washing machine and pumped it from there into a series of pipes that we used to water the garden.


Periodically I stick a pitcher underneath the drip to catch water for house plants and for rinsing the dishes.

The place where he bought the faucet stopped carrying the parts to fix Price Pfister Pfaucets, and it didn't occur to him -- or me either -- to go on-line to find out if he could get the parts directly from the manufacturer. The day after Christmas, we went to the big box hardware store in town and looked at faucets. The faucets in one display ranged in price from "a couple hundred" to more than $800. There are a few Rumpies (the "rural version" of Yuppies) in town, and well-off retired people who have moved here in recent flush with cash from selling their homes in urban areas, but I can't help but wonder how many people in this small town would really plunk down $800 for a kitchen faucet. No matter...

We found one that looked like it would be OK, and a couple of days ago, he went to town to buy the faucet. I wasn't too worried that he would come home with the $800 one. And he didn't.



This may be a fine faucet, but it cost a third of what the broken one cost. I wonder if it is cheap. I wonder how long it will last. I am going to suggest we save all the bits and pieces of the faucet that is dripping now and maybe try to find the replacement parts. Just in case.

Now, I need to work on the other plumbing problem... you know, ladies (and some gentlemen too), that other annoying drip? Like when you have coughing fit or...

2 comments:

Leila said...

Hey, I thought I'd stop by since my name is Leila! :)

I bought a cheap faucet from Home Depot -- cost me all of $21...but when something goes wrong with it, you know what? I call them and they send me a part.

It's guaranteed for life, and I bet yours is too. They will replace it if they can't fix it.

Unknown said...

I read your post on April's blog and decided to visit you. Your statement about the leak brought on by coughing cracked me up! Been there, done that!