Friday, February 27, 2009

One down....

A person whose opinion I respect very much says "...you sure do let it all hang out. I would never talk, about my child's money matters so openly..."

I think he is right. I was over the top and the post revealed too much of our son's personal affairs. So, I am severely editing what I originally wrote; leaving the nuts and bolts of it.

There is a segment of the financial industry in this country that preys on poor people who find themselves in dire straights. Our son ended up with a loan from one such company, which he managed to pay off.

We all did the happy dance.

I guess in this case a picture is worth 1000 words

Yearly interest rate: 117.20%. Think about it.

From my perspective, this is legalized loansharking. I hear the advertisement for the company that he got this loan from on the radio on the mornings that I drive to town. And I wonder how many poor people who don’t have resources end up being caught in a similar trap.


2 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Oh dear - how often one hears this kind of story. Somehow we live in a society where debt is seen as something everyone has - maybe the so called credit crunch we are experiencing now will put an end to that kind of thinking. As a mother I know exactly how you feel
- I do hope that your son gets his life back together again and finds happiness.

Tami Weingartner said...

When I see something like that it makes me so darn angry. It's so so very very wrong. I can not believe that this is even legal. Really I cant.