Monday, January 28, 2019

Promises, Promises

"That's a pie crust promise--easily made, easily broken."
           Mary Poppins
It is a rocky road I drive, and he has pointed that I do so too fast. This is not the first time. I wrote about it here in 2010. I promised him then I would slow down when driving on the driveway.

And I expect I did slow down, for a while. But it appears my promise was indeed a “pie crust promise.”

Although I deny driving too fast, the evidence against me is strong. I have had 2 flat tires within the past 2 months from hitting rocks at a certain spot on our driveway that are left exposed from the frequent flooding (as shown on the video on the old post) that washes away the top gravel.  This brings the tally to 3 flat tires (there was one earlier last year). Two of the tires could not be repaired.  

Fortunately, the most recent flat tire could be repaired, so the financial hit was only $12.00 rather than the cost of a new tire.

I have taken to heart the stern lecture by my beloved to keep my foot on the brake as I head down the incline from the house. I have begun creeping along ever so s-l-o-w-l-y.

He has been watching me from the window and is pleased with how well I am doing, and has told me so.

Now I just need to remember not to revert to old habits.

4 comments:

Donna. W said...

All roads are rocky in Arkansas.

Donna. W said...

Oops, you're in Missouri, right? Oh well, south Missouri is the same as Arkansas

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope you can escape more flat tires! Some snow would make that road easy to travel:)

Tatersmama said...

Oh no! I'm at a loss as to how sloooow is better than fast, but I guess that the proof's in the pudding. Here's to no more flat tires!