Saturday, February 09, 2019

Doing a Happy Dance and Heaving a Sigh

I am doing the happy dance because one of my favorite blog writers, Ladybird World Mother, has started writing her blog again after going silent after a post in October 2016. And at the bottom of her first offering after all this time she writes “This was written a year ago last October. But I forgot to post it. And so I'm posting it now.”

Well, if she can do it, so can I. I don’t remember when I wrote this–maybe a month ago–but I got distracted before I posted it. Now I feel like I am coming down with another bout of writer’s block, which I am hoping to crash through and thus avoid a widening gap between posts.

The freezing rain started Thursday night, and my car is covered in ice along with everything else. About this time last week (give or take a day), it was raining liquid water. When I got back from town, I had to get something out of the trunk and noticed how easily the dirt came off on my hand.

So I got a pail of hot water with a little ammonia (and I don’t want a lecture about how you are not supposed to use ammonia on a car), grabbed the umbrella, and washed the car in the rain.

It worked out quite well. The dirt came off easily, and I didn’t have to rinse the car when I was done.

My parking spot on the driveway is under a maple tree. On a bright sunshiny morning a few days later, I came out to go to town and discovered my car was covered—and I mean covered—in bird poop with lots of bits and pieces in it. I believe the culprits were a small flock of Cedar Waxwings that has been flitting around eating berries from the cedar trees and buds from the maple tree and whatever else they can find.

I had to wash the windshield right then so I could see out, and I guess I will be washing the car again as soon as the ice melts.

2 comments:

Henny Penny said...

Isn't that the way it is! Get the car washed and something messes it up. I had to start parking my car farther back in the driveway because the birds were eating their sunflower seeds in the trees over my car. What a mess they made. Washing the car in the rain is a good idea.

Tatersmama said...

Maybe those Waxwings are drawn to shiny objects,(like your clean car). Did you ever think of that? Have a dirty car, and everyone seems to avoid it, it seems like. Well... except for the sap from our danged Tulip Trees, anyway. I use Dawn dish-washing liquid and vinegar for mine, and it seems to do the trick. I would love to take mine to the car wash for a good scrub, but who can afford that? Do you think ice would sort of scrape the dirt off, as it melts? We can hope, anyway.