Monday, August 16, 2021

An Unexpected Harvest

We have a few vegetables planted in 5-gallon buckets: jalapeño peppers, bell peppers, squash, and tomatoes. The peppers and the tomatoes have done well, the squash, not so much.

But something else has been busy planting in our buckets, and so we are getting an unexpected harvest.

I have had to position my hanging bird feeders to make it more difficult for squirrels to leap on them, and so the chipmunks are no longer able to get on the feeders and help themselves.  


Not too long after this picture was taken...

a squirrel leaped on the feeder and knocked it to the ground and it broke in pieces.

This feeder (obviously a feeder I made myself out of a plastic gallon jar and the lid from a 5-gallon pail) is now hanging from the eve of the second story of our house.

But the furry monsters can stuff their faces with the sunflower seeds that are in the wild bird seed we put on the ground platform for the birds that prefer to feed on the ground (doves, indigo buntings, towhees, etc) and the rabbits.

And then they plant the seeds in our buckets...

and clumps of sprouts appear after a while.

I am enjoying the sprouts in my salad. 

And if you have a few minutes, head on over to YouTube and listen to this wonderful song by Nancy Griffith, who died a few days ago.


 

 

3 comments:

Donna. W said...

I just noticed that you have Pauline's Country Tales on your blog list. She passed away some time ago; she was a Facebook friend, so that's how I know.

Nancy Griffith is one of the song-writer/singers I have on my Pandora Folk station; I've heard a lot of her songs since her death. She has a beautiful voice.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Thank you for telling me about Pauline. I noticed she had not posted for quite a while. I think we first heard Nancy Griffith when she sang on Austin City Limits. She is a favorite.

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
Our squash is not doing well this year too. It must be a not so good squash year. Our peppers and tomatoes are doing fantastic.
I like how you ate the spouts. :-)