Saturday, August 21, 2021

What We Leave Behind

Corinthians 2:14 But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads in every place the fragrance that comes from knowing him.

When livestock trucks carrying cattle or pigs barrel down the highway past our house...

the smell lingers for quite a while.

Likewise, yesterday morning, while I was walking at about 6:00 a.m., a trash truck drove past me on its route, and I could still smell it after it was gone from sight. It wasn’t pleasant.

It occurred to me that we too produce an “odor” as we go about our activities of daily living. I suspect we have all on occasion been near someone whose odor is offensive because they haven't t bathed in a while or washed their clothes.

But I am not referring to body odor. I mean the effect we have on others when we interact with them. What impression do we leave with them? Sweet? Sour? Stinky?

I hope that my relationship with God produces a fragrance that is pleasant to those I interact with and that they aren’t left wrinkling their noses in distaste after I have passed them by.

2 comments:

Henny Penny said...

That is so true. I am a friendly person. When out shopping or around people, I try to always be polite and friendly and kind. Lots of times, especially now days, I do not get that back, but I think to myself, don't fret, maybe my kindness will brighten someone's day. You write a good post.

Klaudia Zuberska said...

Hello!
Great post. I really like your blog, it's interesting and inspiring! I will be happy to come to read more entries :)
I wish you all the best!
Greetings from Poland!