Thursday, March 31, 2022

Tool Chest Adventures

The garbage disposal froze because something got jammed in there. Richard shined a light into the maw and it looked like there might be a nut in the center that could be loosened to free up the unit. We seemed to recall that our previous garbage disposal had one.

So he sent me downstairs to the tool chest in the garage to find a ratchet drive, an extension, and sockets that he might need.

He even gave me a list. I was supposed to bring up sockets in various sizes for the 1/2-inch drive. I got the inches correct but they were the wrong size for the 1/2-inch drive.


So he very patiently explained what he wanted and wrote another list and sent me back down to try again.

I succeeded this time, but then we discovered what we thought was nut in the center wasn’t. All my effort at retrieving these tools was for naught.

So he took the big dowel (think broom handle) that I use to roll out dough, stuck it in there, and shoved, and freed it up. The culprit was a popcorn kernel.

This experience was an eye-opener. Fact is, my inability to bring up the correct tools had nothing to do with lack of mechanical ability and everything to do with lack of familiarity with the tools because Richard always does the repairs and fixes things. It might be helpful down the road to become more familiar with the tool chest.

2 comments:

Henny Penny said...

Dan used to send me to the shop for things he needed when making repairs. It either took me too long or I brought back the wrong thing. Now he says, never mind, I'll get it myself.

I just read your last post about your husband's accident. You both went through so much! It is amazing how a simple accident can turn your lives upsidedown. Hope he is much better now. What a scary thing to happen. I am so afraid of falling, especially after getting knocked down by our dog Ellie and the fall breaking my wrist.

Wishing you both the best.

Carla from The River said...

What a fun adventure.. and I am in your boat. I know nothing about tools. My husband asks me to get the such and such and I always have to ask, what does it look like?