Monday, May 09, 2022

Yes, We Have No Grape Jelly


The orioles arrived last week. I identified at least two types – 

 

the Baltimore oriole (photo by Magee Marsh - Ohio on Wikipedia)...

and the orchard oriole (Photo by Dan Pancamo, on Wikipedia).

There was a third oriole that I wasn't sure about, possibly a Bullock’s oriole. 

I had an  unopened jar of grape jelly left over from last year, which I opened and put out for them in two places, one outside my office window and one on the deck visible from Richard's office, so we could both watch these beautiful birds.

That jar lasted about 3 days, and so I headed off to the store on Saturday to buy more. I went to three stores, and all of them were out of the generic or store brand grape jelly. Three of them were completely out of any kind of grape jelly, but the fourth store did have some name-brand jelly. A small jar, which cost $3.00. I bought it and it lasted 1 day.

So that was that. No way are going to spend $3 day on grape jelly to feed birds.

I did fill the oriole nectar feeder that I bought last year, which the orioles ignored and I almost threw away. This year one oriole did land on it and use it, and the Downy and Red-bellied woodpeckers observed and started using it too, which is good because they tend to leave the hummingbird feeders alone.

I went to the store again today. and again, the shelves continue to be empty of grape jelly. Hard to believe there is a shortage of grape jelly but that seems to be what’s happening.

In the meantime, with nothing to keep them here, the orioles have moved on. Perhaps toward the end of summer, when there is no more demand for grape jelly, I’ll buy a few jars and keep them handy for next Spring.

 



2 comments:

Carla from The River said...

Our Oriole have returned as well. We are feeding them oranges.

What are the blue flowers in your header? They are BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

The blue flowers are wood hyacinth. They have long since stopped blooming and I need to change the photo.