Saturday, December 18, 2010

My, what beautiful shoes you have…

It was just totally weird the sorts of things that flashed through my mind as I sat in the hospital room a few days ago and the surgeon who removed the mass in our boy’s armpit in July, and who was to have done the operation on Monday, came in to tell us the bad news.

News that was taking away the last little sliver of hope.

The man is so strikingly handsome, that it was too distracting to look at his face and try listen to what he was telling us at the same time. I stared at his feet instead. He was wearing beautiful brown leather shoes, glistening shoes, in perfect character with everything else about him.

And then shortly after he left the room, I went out to the hall and down corridor between the two wings of rooms on that floor, and I stood against the wall, sort of out of sight, and I cried. Much to my surprise, he was suddenly there, rubbing my back and expressing how sorry he was. I think he meant it. From what I can see of his Facebook page, he has two young boys. Perhaps he was imagining the unimaginable….

5 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

It nice to hear of a doctor who shows compassion to his patients and their families.

Paula said...

Yes it is comforting to have a doctor who cares. When my husband Mel passed his doctor's family send us a sympathy card. Don't know why but it surprised me but made me feel good.

Donna. W said...

Just a couple days ago one of my bloggers announced that her husband has lung cancer. Now I read this. And right at Christmas.
I'm so sorry.

lisa said...

I am so sorry, this is so aweful to happen at this time of year. My prayers are with you and your son, that he has comfort in his last days, and that God gives you what you need to make it thru this time.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am so sorry this has to happen to you..it doesn't seem fair. What purpose does it serve..what is gained..I guess only God knows and we should just trust. I am thinking of you ! :)