Monday, October 06, 2008

Trying not to think too much...

My take on scripture is that as Christians we are supposed to “seek first the kingdom of God...” and basically not get too involved in the things of this world, and that includes politics, and what Brad and Angelina are up to, and who is wearing what at the Emmys, and why should we care about the Emmys anyway? And for a funny (but long) take on the Emmys, visit Little Red Boat.

At any rate, I think there is a good reason why we are told to be “in the world but not of the world.” You get to paying too much attention to politics and gasoline prices, and how much it is going to cost to buy propane this winter, and why grapefruits are almost $1 each, and all that stuff, and pretty soon you are feeling angry and frustrated and impotent, and it can make you a little crazy. In the movie Network, the great actor Peter Finch played a news personality who got mad and went a little crazy. During a broadcast he told people to get mad, open their window, and yell.



That wouldn't do much good here. Nobody would hear me. I try to keep sane by not paying too much attention.

And I do a fairly decent job of not paying attention most of the time...




...which explains why I wasn’t too aware of what was going on with Wall Street debacle when it first happened. I was too busy working and thinking about other stuff. In fact, when I heard the first news report about it, I thought they were talking about the crash that started the Depression in the 1930s.

But I am paying attention now.




In fact, I suspect all of us will be paying attention for a long time to come.

And paying....

And paying......

Boy, are we ever going to pay.

No point in me ranting on about what has gone wrong with capitalism and Wall Street and the bailout. Joe Bageant has done a pretty good of ranting about it in The Really Hard-to-Swallow Truth About the Bailout,
and has said it better than I ever could (note, he also uses some words and phrases that I would not use, just ignore them).

And now that I have that out of my system....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post!! Another thing is it breeds fear. We don't need fear but faith and to believe that God will supply our every need. As for the Emmy's and Brad, that just breeds discontent. With our focus on the Lord, we can be content with who we are and who God made us to be. (even without the ball gown with the slit up to our fannies and the V-Neck down to our belly button)