Monday, October 05, 2009

Peter Piper Picked....

My dad used to recite tongue twisters to us when we were kids...

Rubber baby buggy bumpers

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A slightly new version of Peter Piper sprang to mind when we visited the Fall Festival in town on Saturday. The vendors who sell their produce at the Farmer’s Market set up at the street fair for one last sale.



Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled purple peppers

I had no idea there was such a thing as a purple pepper. It was just beautiful.

And among the last of this year’s harvest, boxes of little gourds...


in all shapes and sizes...


and textures.

I shall miss the locally grown vegetables and especially the apples, but then again I won't have to deal with the problem of fresh vegetable going bad in the refrigerator. Indeed, I found an eggplant on the verge of rotting in the vegetable drawer, along with a pepper, and some zucchini so I cooked them all together with a can of tomatoes, and then decided I wanted bean soup for lunch, so I added part of the eggplant mixture into the bean soup with some large whole wheat pasta and made a sort of minnestrone soup. It was good.

1 comment:

The Weaver of Grass said...

That purple pepper reminds me of sweets we used to get as children - they were called pin cushions and were purple, silky boiled sweets - I haven't seen them in years and they were probably never available in the US - but you certainly made my mouth water with that photograph!