Monday, December 29, 2008

Getting labeled

So, how many of you women followed Donna's suggestion to buy the man in your life a labeling machine? The man in my life has had one of these devices for quite some time now. He originally bought it so he could label all his stuff in the garage.



The labels he was using weren't holding up very well.

Of course the labels didn't just stay on the stuff in the garage. They began to come upstairs into the house as well.

It is very helpful to have a clear label to read, especially because we buy a lot of food in bulk so that it has to be put in a container after we get it home.



And yes, he does have a bit of a dyslexia problem.



We like to put stuff in glass jars...



And old peanut butter jars if it is going into the freezer. And this wasn't fish sauce, I was collecting the liquid from canned fish to use in fish chowder.



And bags for the freezer get labeled as well....



First thing in the morning he likes to weigh out how many pieces of bread he will be able to eat that day and keep them separate from the rest of the bread...



We buy all of our spices in bulk, so the recycled jars we use get labeled so one can't mistake what is in them with anything else. This is a good idea. On one occasion I got oregano and basil mixed up and added double the amount of oregano. It wasn't a disaster but it could have been.



We make our own popcorn seasoning out of equal amounts of cumin, chili powder, paprika, and nutritional yeast and it has to have a container too.

Richard likes the large body wash containers for shampoo.



And I agree... but without a label it is hard to tell which is which and after he accidently used the shampoo to wash himself he decided he better label it.

We had sort of a loud argument about this one day.

I couldn't remember where the whole wheat pastry flour was and he insisted that it was in a labeled container. I knew I had not put it into a container after he came home from a trip to the bulk food store. I was almost certain it had gone straight into the freezer in a plastic bag. At that point about all I could do was stand at the counter, I still couldn't walk. So he had to to the basement to check, grumbling all the way, and I was right....

So, he made a label for it.... and me too....


I am not sure why I am the idiot here. Seems to me he should have been the one wearing this label...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not an idiot!! But the story is a good one! I need to make a index card box writing down where every teeney tiny thing is so when he asks, "Where is this or that?" I can yell "CHECK THE BOX!"

What an idea, I will have to ponder it!! LOL

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sounds like you have a label making maniac on your hands! If it keeps him busy! Happy New Year:)